Monday, 23 November 2015

Danger - please share - choking hazard

baby choking raisins


Danger-please share:

(Originally posted on Facebook )

Please think about biting or cutting raisins in half as well as grapes before giving to your baby...

In the small hours of this morning Arthur started gasping for breath and choking in his sleep. After getting him upright and trying to help him breathe he vomited up the blockage - 5 raisins which had rehydrated and swelled up with water, increasing to their previous size of a (slightly squashy) grape. He had eaten them 12 hours previously after his tea.

I know we all think about choking hazards when giving our baby food to eat, and I'm sure most of us know the dangers of giving whole grapes to babies and small children - it had never crossed my mind that I would have to consider the choking hazard of food such as this if it comes back up in the other direction!






Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I never think about raisins swelling!! My 15 month old had a couple with breakfast, now Im worrying now he's napping. Thank you for bringing this to my attention! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lianne - I also hadn't even imagined it happening!!

      Delete
  2. I'd never thought about this but I'll definitely cut them up in future! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I mentioned to you before I didn't know about the raisins. I've heard about the grapes and now I'm very careful when I give it to my daughter. Now the raisins you would never thought as they are smaller but how interesting is what you said about them getting rehydrated and swelled up with water, increasing to their previous size of a (slightly squashy) grap. This is something that I would've never thought before. Thanks for bringing this to our attention I'll have to cut them next time! How scary was that for your Sarah! Thanks god he is okay! Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. I would share it now so everybody is aware. I hope to see you again next Sunday! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Franca - it was scary at the time but luckily he is ok!

      Delete
  4. Woah, very scary. Our tot is terrible for wolfing down fistfuls of grapes without really chewing. Thanks for the heads up and thanks for linking up to #fartglitter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes once they are in front of them, most little ones like to just shovel them in don't they!!!?!

      Delete
  5. Oh my word how scary is that! Never in my wildest dreams would I ever have thought about this happening. I'm so glad little Arthur is okay!! Thanks for sharing and helping raise awareness of just how dangerous raisins can be too. Xx #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh!! I recently heard about the toddler choking on a grape but I had no idea that is what happened to raisins! Thank goodness Arthur is okay! Thanks for sharing such useful information #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete

I would like to notify you of any replies to your comment - please click the 'notify me' box and/or leave your email address/twitter handle alongside your comment so that I can email or tweet you and let you know!